Michael Mull Octet

Michael Mull Octet

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Master!

Well, that's it.

I received my Master of Fine Arts Degree from Calarts yesterday, and school's out for the summer...and then some. I had an incredible time these past two years, meeting some of the most inspiring musicians and people, getting to play with them, talk to them, share ideas and experiences. I formed my trio, soon to put out my debut album as a leader, with fellow students at Calarts. I played with and learned from musical legends like Charlie Haden, Wadada Leo Smith, Joe LaBarbera, Darek Oles, Swapan Chaudhuri and Morton Subotnick. While perhaps not as notorious as the aforementioned musicians, every faculty member at Calarts with whom I interacted had a distinct and positive impact on me, something I am sure very few schools could have accomplished. If you have an opportunity to spend some time at Calarts, please do so; it is a haven for the arts and there really is no other place like it.

I'm ready for a bit of rest and recovery after a harrowing but productive two years, but also excited to get to work immediately and dive into my career with complete focus. I began to realize today how much I have been waiting for this time, when I can push forward and dedicate all of my energy to my art, life, and career.

Thank you to all who have helped me up to this point, whether you know it or not. And, especially thank you to my wonderful wife Ami and my truly supportive family.

Well, that's it - for this chapter. Forward, onward, upward and all the other -wards that I can get my hands on. Good night.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats Mike...it has been a pleasure to see your amazing development as a musician...I feel fortunate to be one the few who have experienced it first hand.

    You constantly make us proud to be your friends...keep on kicking ass

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. Congratulations man... can't wait to hear what you've been working on and what you will continue to bring forth into this world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks so much guys. Keep that inspiration going back and forth!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Stay in touch!